Wednesday 14 October 2015

Summary of my walk on the Walker’s Haute Route


I have written no general introduction but most of the introduction that I wrote for my walk on the Haute Route Pyrenees contains information which is still pertinent.  I wasn’t carrying a tent, mattress, cooking gear or any food other than a few dates, dried apricots and chocolate so I was only carrying about 10 or 11 kilos in total.  I had thrown away my boots after the Pyrenees walk as I discovered the reason for my sore toes was a soft corn caused by my boots being too small although my normal size of 9½ and I had worn the same boots for a total of 5 weeks walking in the Alps previously.  I replaced the boots with the same Salomon Quest but in a larger size, size 10.  I had no problems with my feet.  My rucksack was exactly the same although a free replacement for the one used in the Pyrenees.

The total cost of the two week walk, all inclusive, was almost exactly £1,000 which considering that I was in Switzerland for almost the whole fortnight isn’t too bad and I didn’t stint on drinking what at times was very expensive wine.

The other statistics for the trip are:

Total distance walked:

Number of days walking

176 kilometres

13 days

109 miles

Total hours walked including stops

83 hours

Total hours walked excluding stops

Total Height Loss and Gain

Average speed with stops

Average speed without stops
74 hours

13,500 metres

2.11 km/hr

2.36 km/hr


44,285 feet

1.31 m/hr

1.46 m/hr
The introduction to my walk on the Haute Route Pyrenees can be found on:


Where the e- version of my diary can be purchased for a small amount with any profits being given to the Austrian Alpine Club’s fund for maintenance of mountain refuges.

My photographs for the Walker's Haute Route  can be found on:


And my Alpine flower photographs can be found on:


Photographs of other alpine walks can be found on:

Tour du Mont Blanc


GR5 Lac Leman to Menton
                                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/136214554@N06/albums/72157658622706425


GR20 Corsica

No comments:

Post a Comment